Columbus Crew SC 2, New England Revolution 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Columbus went ahead early when left back Milton Valenzuela's cross was inadvertently headed by Revolution defender Andrew Farrell for an own goal. The Revs' Teal Bunbury found the equalizer from a tight angle minutes later.
- 9' – CLB – Own Goal (Farrell) WATCH
- 14' – NE – Teal Bunbury WATCH
- 43' – CLB – Gyasi Zardes WATCH
- 46+' – NE – Cristian Penilla WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: On the team side, the tie snaps a three game losing streak for Columbus, while New England gets a road result for the second consecutive trip. And both sides will be glad to see their goal-scorers get on the board, as Bunbury put away his third of the year while Zardes scored his fifth in eight games for Columbus.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: While there were a few nice goals in this one, there were a number second half near-misses that could've broken the deadlock, including goalmouth clearances from Jalil Anibaba and Jonathan Mensah, a Zack Steffen fingertip save to deny Bunbury, a late post, and this crossbar by Mensah. So close:
- MAN OF THE MATCH: You could pick any number of players from this wild affair, but Cristian Penilla's goal was not only a beautiful one-time finish, but the timing of it - just after Columbus had taken the lead, and right before the break - was just as important in helping the Revs earn a hard-fought road point.