Portland Timbers 2, Los Angeles Football Club 3 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Carlos Vela got things started quickly for the Supporters’ Shield leaders with a gift of a goal in the sixth minute. He picked off an errant short ball played by Jeff Attinella for Jorge Villafana and easily slotted past the goalkeeper for his league-leading 16th goal of the season.
Cristhian Paredes pulled the Timbers to within a goal in the opening minute of the second half, knocking a rebound past Tyler Miller. But Latif Blessing maintained the two-goal lead in the 54th minute, getting onto the end of a Jordan Harvey cross and volleying in from the edge of the six-yard box.
Brian Fernandez provided a late lifeline with a stunning bicycle kick six minutes from full time in a match that had a nasty tone, especially in the final quarter hour and in the 12 minutes of second-half stoppage time.
- 6’ — LAFC — Carlos Vela | WATCH
- 34’ — LAFC — Diego Rossi | WATCH
- 46’ — POR — Cristhian Paredes | WATCH
- 54’ — LAFC — Latif Blessing | WATCH
- 84’ — POR — Brian Fernandez | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: This game had everything we hoped — a terrific tifo, some great goals, some feistiness on the field and in the technical areas before and after the match. More of this please.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: With Providence Park buzzing, Vela silenced all but the 1,000 or so visiting fans with this opening goal off a brutal Attinella gaffe.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It’s Vela, yet again. Yes, his opening goal was gift-wrapped, but he still had to finish it and he then helped set up Rossi’s goal to put LAFC in the driver’s seat.